That IS me in the photo

And now for a bit of location fun - that post featuring in the early morning desert of Oman's Wahiba Sands circa Jan 1986 courtesy of the RGS programme (Journal of Oman Studies Special Report is even available on amazon) initiated in me an urge to see if my recollection of that image having been used in a Rolex ad was indeed correct. After all I have said so out loud many times even though the absence on my wrist that day and even to this day (hey Rolex) of any form of Rolex only spurred on the doubters! And what do you know....that image was taken by none other than the inimitable Michael Keating, possibly amongst the quieter of his assignments! The roll call of those involved is worthy of a separate post sometime.



As featured very occasionally (perhaps once only?) in The Geographical Magazine and National Geographic in c.1987.

I would like to be able to share anecdotes (hell, any anecdote) about my times with all the other genuinely ground-breaking people who have graced their ads down the years but sadly that get-together has never happened - yet!

Hey, Rolex if you're listening, "now there's an idea" - catchy too - a triangulation of adventure/exploring, sports and entertainment - you don't need me to list some of the names and faces but it would be some get together wouldn't it, I mean Chuck Yeager alone; and an amazing bunch from the past too once you start looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outing the OS "policy options" 'consultation'

The language of location and location data

Transparency, contact tracing and the language of surveillance